Saturday, November 5, 2011

Modding - Interviews Included

As announced in the previous posts, today's post will be about a Skyrim issue. I'm beginning with mods, as I believe this is one of the most general topics to talk about. 

In TES, much like in Minecraft and Trackmania, the community has set up a wide array of mods which allow players to alter the game in various ways. There are mods for graphics, sound, in game items, character customization, and even extra quests if I am correct. Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul is one of the most popular mods. In fact, as the name suggests, it's beyond a mod as it extensively alters the game. A few communities distribute these mods, namely TES Nexus and Planet Elder Scrolls. Some lists have been made to easen mod searching, such as the recommended mods list from UESP or Planet Elder Scrolls' Ten essential Oblivion mods list.

 A floating castle modded into Oblivion.

So one of the questions you may ask yourself when you begin Skyrim is to wether or not use mods. Why use them? Are there downsides? Are they the future of gaming? To answer these questions, I interviewed three different players. First, I had a direct interview with DyingAtheist, as known as Best In Slot on Youtube. He's going be making videos about mods and such, so I thought it would be interesting to interview him in particular. Here's our inverview, you have to click on the image and then click on "show original" to be able to read:


Then, I interviewed a writer from TES Nexus, Zaldiir, who was very positive on the idea of modding, and also gave some interesting views on the subject. The link from the conversation is this : http://tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=15412.


Finally, I interviewed a modder named Arthmoor. He's been into TES for a long while now and also had some interesting views to share. It was done through PM instead of chat this time. Again, click the image and select "original size" to view the conversation.



Kvatch rebuilt through modding, by Kvatch Rebuild Team.

Now where do I personally stand on mods? I only use those that fill the gaps, and I stay vanilla for a very long time first. When I started Oblivion I quickly got disapointed by the hairstyles, and got mods right off the bat. I tried many mods to alter the game because they all sounded so nice. But then there was a point when it got complicated with game files, and I really wanted to discover the game as it originally was. I had the feeling I was skipping something. I'm just the kind of person who won't buy a Ferrari if it doesn't have a Ferrari engine, even if it's a more powerful one. I get that feeling that it's "fake". On Oblivion I only had a mod that added merchants because the roads just got really dull after a while. I don't mind fixing such things because they add immersion. But replacing already existing content, or making my gameplay easier by adding overpowered weapons and others, just isn't my thing. Because I'll know I'm not getting the real impression of the game. Nonetheless I was very interested to hear what they had to say in the interviews, it's been a while I haven't done them. I think this is an idea worth developping for games, because there's always something missing in game and game developers don't think about it. It's good to have the community be part of the game's development as well.

May Akatosh be with you!

1 comment:

  1. Without wanting to compare the 3 interviews, I like the last one best.

    The modding community is in general a great community adding much content to games, but there are a few downsides, and I think Arthmoor is being very realistic and honest about it.

    Some times ego's and money have a negative effect on modding.
    I recall an event where a modder had made a very succesfull map editor for BF1942, and then basicly demanded from EA to get paid or he would drop support and further development of the editor. EA refused and he abandoned the project.

    Ofcourse the large majority of the modding community puts in a lot of effort to create extra free content for games, and are to be applauded for that.

    ReplyDelete